God's goal for you in life.

God's goal for you in life.
Life goes on, move with it

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

workboxes!

Ok, so today is officially the 2nd day with the workbox system. I Love LOVE, LOVE it!! I'm not sure how the kids feel about it but it worked well for us for today. The weekly schedule leaves me free from scheduling the remainder of the week. It also lets the kids take charge of some of their own time and school work.
I think we may change Literature for Adam though. It is a bit above his understanding and  a huge amount of reading out loud for me considering that I read Biology, History and Literature out loud to both boys. By the end of the day my voice should be hoarse! lol

I want to put some pictures on here about the workboxes but I have two small problems; one is I have no idea how to do it and secondly I have no pictures taken yet. lol My batteries are charging so I can take pictures soon.

So far the workboxes are set up, instead of drawers the way Sue Patrick designed it, as binders. Each kid has two binders. one binder is for this week we are working in. The second binder is for completed and graded work. In each binder each subject has it's own folder. Int he "this week's" binder the work to be completed goes in the left pocket. Once it is completed it is then moved to the right pocket. at the end of each week there should be nothing in the left pockets. Once all the work is graded the kids put it in their completed work binder in that subjects folder. In the front of each "this week's" binder each kid has their assignments listed for the whole week. It is up to them to make sure the work gets completed. They can do it in any order they want as long as it is all done by Friday afternoon.
Each kid gets a drawer to put their binder and pencils/pens in so they know right where their supplies are. We use a bookshelf for all the text and work books and their completed work binder. Each child gets their own shelf also. Their text/work books stay on their shelf. All the teacher's manuals are on a shelf for me. Everything is easy to find and in clear site. 
this has made my mind clearer then it was last year. Last year we went day by day. I know it wasn't a good system but I was just to lazy to figure it out and to plan ahead. This year I am determined to plan ahead. lol
The original system can be found at http://www.workboxsystem.com/ .As you ca see I have adapted it to use binders instead of drawers so it would work in the small space we have and so the kids would be more interested in using it. I thought they might think it was babyish if I used drawers for each subject. After talking to them about it I was right. They said no way... hahaha
You can also google workboxes and find ways others have adapted it. 
Well, I think that is all for this post. I will keep you posted as to how it continues to wrk (or not work) for us.

Always make your homeschool cool for you and your family. Don't make it a school but a place of learning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment