God's goal for you in life.

God's goal for you in life.
Life goes on, move with it

Sunday, September 26, 2010

today happened.........

Ok, so today was busy. First, we woke up, feeling relaxed and not rushed. We spent some time together as a family, which we rarely are able to do first thing in the morning. I made eggs and toast for breakfast. (yummy!!!) I liked this family time a lot! Then Mike and I went to church for the prayer time. I never thought prayer could make me feel so good. I feel in awe at prayer. I know, I know, I know... I should have started going years ago. But I didn't so I shouldn't complain over things in which I have no control of. It certainly is not like I can go back and change things. I do think I did the right thing by postponing attend the prayer meetings though. Mike, now Mike and I, carpool to prayer with his long time friend, Terry. I know my husband rarely gets time to socialize with other men and I know he cherishes that time with Terry. I did not want to impose on that time. I still do not, but going to prayer has tunred out to be a blessing in more ways then I could imagine.

After prayer we moved some supplies around at church and then went to Wal-Mart.  We finally arrived home later then I had hoped. I was beat! My amazingly wonderful husband allowed me to sleep for nearly 2 hours when we arrived home. :) I really needed that nap.

Now here is the biggest event of the day. The person I was blogging about before, the one that I got into an argument about, well, I called her. We talked for over an hour. Although some of the talk was heated some it was good.  I have learned over the years to let things go. It's a hard lesson to learn but one that everyone must learn at one point or another. Sometimes it is better to let go then continue to argue. Being right isn't always the most important thing. (Not saying I was -or ever will be- COMPLETELY  right, mind you.) But being right is't all it's cracked up to be at times.

It got me thinking, why isn't it the best thing? You know, when you were a kid you would argue with your friends or siblings as to who was right? Back then being right was awesome! Being right gave you some aura of superiority, almost like standing on ground above those you are arguing with. But you see? There in lies the problem. You are above others, alone, singled out, set aside. For what? What do you really have to gain by being set apart, by being right? Well, for one, you have a great feeling of superiority. You also are proud of your stature. You are looked up to. But you are alone. ALONE. When you put yourself above others, in anyway, you loose sense of reality. You become egocentric, whether you believe me or not, you do.

How can we protect ourselves from such a place but not always give in to others' way of thinking? I have really only found one way. I have tried other ways. I have tried convincing others to see things my way. I have tried to justify my way. I have stayed solid in my belief and bold in stating them, therefore lost friends. I have not succeeded in protecting myself. I have only succeeded on hurting myself in the long run. People could tend to think that I might be snobbish, conceited, judgmental, rude, or pushy. At times people have thought that. And at times, they have been right.  So again, how can we protect ourselves from people thinking that and still be right? Easy. Humble your self and give God the reins to guide your words. Now, this is not easy to do. But it is necessary if we want to keep our witness and keep our friends. As humans we want to do things our own way. We want to be in control, just like we want be right. As an example, think of children. They always want to be right. Remember when you were a kid? You always thought your parents were too hard, they were wrong and you were right, they were mean, they were punishing you for no reason and so on. I know I did at times. I pretty sure you did at times also. Now that we are adults, or almost in some cases, you can see the error of your ways. you can see how your attitude contributed in escalating the punishment or correction, even if you were right. It doesn't matter if you are right. It matters how you express that, or if you express that at all. Sometimes it does not needed to be pointed out.

Handing God the reins to guide our words keep us in check. It helps us stay humble and realize that to keep a good friend you have to be a good friend. Sometimes that means shutting your mouth and not pointing out all their faults.

That was my mistake. Yes my part of the argument was, in my eyes and in my memory, correct. Pointing that out caused a huge argument. I did follow the Scriptures about helping your brother if he is in sin. I did follow the Scriptures to do so in love. However, pointing out everything is not so good an idea... sometimes you need to stop in your tracks and start taking baby steps. We all needed to learn in baby steps when were young. Non-believers and young Christians alike, need do that too. Just like you cannot make a baby walk before their time you can not point things out to someone who refuses to see them. God will show them in His time. Until then, just be a friend. Humble yourself, I'm speaking to myself here too, before God and allow Him to take the reins in your relationships. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Trish. I especially like the part about baby steps. We are certainly supposed to hold one another accountable, but baby steps are required. None of us will change overnight, and no one can tackle every issue he has simultaneously. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete