God's goal for you in life.

God's goal for you in life.
Life goes on, move with it

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

my favorite desserts

The last time I wrote in my blog a friend suggested that I relate desserts to sin and how tempting it is. I love to talk about desserts so I thought the idea had some merit.
My favorite desserts are chocolate.I love practically anything chocolate. If I had to pick a "healthier" dessert it would be strawberries. Strawberry Shortcake, strawberries and cool whip, plain strawberries, chocolate covered strawberries. They all are absolutely wonderful! There are really so many desserts that are appealing but not as tasty as strawberries and chocolate.

mmmmm.......mmmmm......mmmmmmmmmm.... good....... :) 

If someone offered me a yummy, wonderful dessert would I turn it down? Most likely not! Now if someone offered me liver and onions, or cow's tongue, or ham hocks then NO WAY! Please take the away before I get sick! But desserts....... mmmmm, too good to dismiss without trying. You know that if you try a dessert that you absolutely love no matter how much willpower you have you will most likely finish that dessert. I know I would.

Ever think of sin like that? Do you think Satan would offer you some gross things to entice you with? Things that would turn your stomach and make you sick. That would not be tempting in the least. Temptation is defined as "something that seduces or has the quality to seduce". Seduce is defined as "to lead astray usually by persuasion or false promises." So by definition temptation is desirable. Satan knows this. He knows what is desirable to me and what is desirable to you. It may or may not be the same thing. Just like we all love different desserts (Mike hates strawberries and will not touch them!) sin is also different for each of us. My sin issues are different then yours are. Just like my dessert choices are also different then yours. 

I know that if I eat chocolate I have a hard time stopping if there is any left. I LOVE chocolate, ask Mike. I an notorious for taking any chocolate that is left in the house, even if he bought it for himself. I justify taking it because I think that when I go to the store I will buy him replacement candy bar. No harm done. Or is there?



But what does that chocolate really do to me? It is a quick, yummy treat. It lasts only a few moments and then is digested. It turns into fat. Fat that goes right around my waste! Now even though the chocolate was yummy and I enjoyed it I do not particularly like the results of added weight. 


Think about sin like that. Sin is tempting, enjoyable and seducing at first. It feels good and it feels right (sometimes) but afterward you are left with guilt, shame and regret. You may wish that you could go back in time and not commit that sin. No matter how tempting it was at the time you now know the result of committing it. You can't get rid of the dessert that you ate without making your self sick. You can' go back and redo events to not commit that sin.

But there is hope! Just like exercise helps you loose the extra weight you have gained from all the desserts, Jesus helps you feel better by forgiving you when you repent from the sin you fell into temptation with. 
~~  Jesus is like execise for the soul. :)   ~~


I hope that when you regretfully indulge in sin that you go to get your spiritual exercise by talking to our Lord and Savior. Ask him to cleanse you. :)

1 comment:

  1. I hear you sister! Chocolate is awesome, in moderation of course, but sin never is. Pizza is another one for me. How interesting that I also have two prominent sin issues that seem to dog me. Perhaps I'll start referring to them as chocolate and pizza. Anyway, keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete